Troy Giles, D. C. 565 West 2600 South, Bountiful, UT 84010
(801) 298-4646 www.familywellnesscenter.info
Diabetes is a chronic disease in which the body does not make or use insulin effectively. Insulin is the hormone that helps the body use the energy from sugar, starches, and carbohydrates. Without the proper function of insulin in the body, you don’t have enough energy to accomplish daily activities. Insulin helps to metabolize sugar and without this proper metabolism, sugar builds up in the body and causes damage to tissues and organs.
The major symptoms of diabetes are:
- Increased urination
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Poorly healing cuts or bruises
- Increased hunger and thirst
- Rapid weight loss
- Dry, itchy skin
- Loss of feeling in hands or feet
There are two types of Diabetes –Type 1 and Type 2
Type 1 is typically juvenile onset diabetes and usually has a genetic cause. Children develop the disease early in life and are usually insulin dependent immediately upon diagnosis. One theory for Type 1 Diabetes is there may be an autoimmune issue with an allergy to cow’s milk. The body sees the protein of cow milk to be very similar to that of the pancreas. As the body attacks the foreign protein of the cow milk, it sees the pancreatic protein also as a foreign protein and attacks it as well.
Type 2 is usually adult onset and has to be purchased at the store!!! This means the pancreas becomes overworked and abused by all the simple carbohydrates we consume. The onset of Type 2 diabetes typically occurs later in life after the pancreas and the body is burned out with too much sugar. Type 2 Diabetes can be controlled by changing the diet to a more whole food diet that consists of complex carbohydrates, proteins and fats. The ratio of these foods should be 50% vegetables, 20 % fruits, 20 % proteins, and 10% fats.
1) Control the diet by making wiser food choices to include complex carbohydrates. The combination of foods is also important since improper food combinations may lead to mal-digestion.
2) Support the pancreas with specific targeted supplementation that helps to remove any layers of infection out of the pancreas and supports the tissue in creating normal levels of insulin.